My Shopping List
Garlic-Basil Toasted Beef Sandwiches
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 75 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 1/2 lb. beef eye round or bottom round steak, cut 3/4" to 1" thick
+ 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
+ 1 tsp. pepper
+ 1 c. water
+ 4 crusty rolls (4" long), split
+ sliced tomatoes (optional)
+ 1/2 c. low fat or regular mayonnaise
+ 1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
+ 1 tsp. minced garlic
What to do:
1. Combine 2 Tbsp. garlic and pepper; press evenly onto beef steaks. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; brown evenly. Season with salt, as desired.
2. Add water to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hrs. or until beef is fork-tender.
3. Meanwhile combine mayonnaise ingredients in small bowl. Spread cut sides of rolls with mayonnaise mixture. Place on baking pan so surface of rolls is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 1 to 2 min. or until lightly browned. Place sliced tomatoes on bottom half of rolls, if desired.
4. Carve steaks into thin slices. Divide steak slices evenly over roll bottoms; top with some of the cooking liquid. Close sandwiches. Serve with remaining cooking liquid for dipping, as desired.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Calories: 444; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 79mg; Total Carbs: 35g; Fiber: 12g; Protein: 43g; Sodium: 61mg;